NAEA's 10 Lessons the Arts Teacher
by Elliot Eisner
1. The arts teach children to make good judgments about
2. The arts teach that problems can have more than one
3. The arts celebrate multiple perspectives.
4. The arts teach children that in complex forms of problem
solving purposes are seldom fixed, but change with
5. The arts make vivid the fact that neither words in their literal
form nor numbers exhaust what we can know.
6. The arts teach that small differences can have large effects.
7. The arts teach students to think through and within a material.
8. The arts help children learn to say what cannot be said.
9. The arts enable us to have experience we can have from no
10. The arts’ position in the school curriculum symbolizes to the
young what adults believe is important.